TomTom GO 730 4.3-Inch Widescreen Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator (Factory Refurbished) [Review]

TomTom GO 730 4.3-Inch Widescreen Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator (Factory Refurbished)
Brand : TomTom
Model : GO 730
Overall Rating :
From : 90 Reviews
Color :

TomTom GO 730 Portable Navigator with Bluetooth refurb. TomTom GO 730 portable navigator offers you peace of mind when traveling with her powerful, yet easy to use functionality. You can use 4.3 "widescreen touch display to access detailed maps of the United States and Canada, and explore more than 5 million points of interest. Text-to-speech voice directions announcing street names in real shifts, giving useful information when driving through unknown areas. Remodeled.  [...]

Technical
  • 4.3 inch full TFT Color LCD
  • Spoken Directions and Street Names
  • Pre-loaded maps of USA and Canada from TeleAtlas
  • Advanced Lane Guidance
  • Bluetooth for Hands-Free calling, PLUS services and audio output
TomTom GO 730 4.3-Inch Widescreen Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator (Factory Refurbished)

Customer's Rating & Reviews (All-Reviews)

Robert Sobotik ( Lamarque, Tx USA )
I first bought a reconditioned TomTom 330S and returned it due to bad routing on trips I routinely traveled. I discoverd the 730 used "IQ Routing" which uses actual speeds and generated reasonable routs similiar to TomTom web site and Google. I found many features very difficult to use, especially such things as trying to add/correct speed limits on maps, etc. Playing MP3's using the FM transmit has worked fine for me, although volume wouldn't be enough to play through built-in speakers. There are limitations on creating your own favorites (can't include phone number for example).

Both reconditioned units were like new, although one had a map that was 13 months old and the other one was 5 months old. When I called to update the map, I was first told I would have to buy a map because they did not provide free update maps for reconditioned units. After escalating to the next level, they did provide updated maps. If you call, be sure to keep repeating "but the descriptions on your reconditioned units on your website state reconditioned units receive an update within 30 days of purchase" and you can wear them down. I had to go through the same discussion on the 2nd unit.

I did find TomTom support to be very helpful (other than the map update). An actual person answered quickly, would guide me step by step through the changes I was trying to make, etc.

In general, I've had very good success on reconditioned units and see no reason to pay full retail... just be sure you are ready to put them through their paces as soon as you get them in case there is any problem since the warranty is shorter.
......................................................

Loc Luu Nguyen ( bay area, CA )
I think I don't have to write any detail review. My sole purpose is to inform folks that Map upgrade is guaranteed for this refurbished unit. (I really doubt if it's really refurbished or just mark down to be able to sell at a lower price).

Anyway I got my map upgraded just fine and very easy without any phone call, nagging, complain (I don't have time for those)... At the beginning it would nag and ask you to buy (donate your money) for maps upgrade, and that your maps is behind X number of upgrade ...

The truth is I got my map upgrade after I did a device software upgrade. After that it showed some message about "latest map guarantee". In Home application, I went to Tools and then Use Latest Map guarantee and make sure my PC is connected w/ decent bandwidth. It took care of the map.

BTW, only complain I have from the unit is the Phone-Bluetooh volume sometime is too low or choppy.

LLN
......................................................

Edward Rodriguez
I purchased this unit and it worked for two days and I had to return it. Purchased another unit ,I must say, amazon.com has one of the best return policies I have ever had. No problems. Thank you.
......................................................

Jim Chou ( Austin, TX USA )
So despite the warnings about the maps, I thought I'd give this a shot. The unit itself is nice and works well.

The map on my unit was 7 quarters out of date though. I know this because the TomTom program told me when I tried to update the map. It then tried to sell me a current map plus a year of quarterly updates; the two together were almost the price of the refurb unit, and you were not allowed to buy just the current map without the yearly subscription (each was about the same price). The updates plus the refurb unit were significantly more than the price of a new unit.

Since TomTom updates their maps quarterly, and since I don't believe Amazon would have kept stock almost two years old, I can't help but conclude that TomTom deliberately ships refurb units with old maps deliberately. I think this is unethical, as is their practice of bundling a current map and the year of updates, and so am switching over to Garmin units after returning this TomTom.

Don't buy this refurb unit, you'll just be supporting TomTom's poor practices. You might as well buy a new one, it's cheaper once you include the map cost.
......................................................



Accessories

Related

0 comments:

 

Preview on Feedage: portable-gps-navigator-reviews Add to My Yahoo! Add to Google! Add to AOL! Add to MSN
Subscribe in NewsGator Online Add to Netvibes Subscribe in Pakeflakes Subscribe in Bloglines Add to Alesti RSS Reader
Add to Feedage.com Groups Add to Windows Live iPing-it Add to Feedage RSS Alerts Add To Fwicki
Add to Spoken to You